Sunday, February 12, 2012

65 Years & Don't Talk to Strangers!


Hello Everyone!
This week was just a little extra long… 3 days in the ICU and 3 days in the Barn!!
Most exciting thing that happened this week was I got to see my first foal born. They called into the ICU and said we had a dystocia coming in twenty minutes and to get ready! Dr. Kelly Jones a fellow doctor poked her head in the door and asked if anyone was coming with her. My boss Lynne looked at me said, “Want to go?” Of course I wasn’t turning her down told her to check my 2 o’clock treatments and I’d be back. So I got really really excited because I had never seen a foal pulled or even born for that matter.  At the clinic we have a small truck called the “dystocia truck” it’s this tiny two-seater flatbed. Its right hand drive and stick! It’s pretty wicked I’d have to say! So hopped into the truck and headed up to the surgery barn. We set up and shortly after the farm arrived with the mare. She was a little feisty so they put her right under general anesthesia and in less than fifteen minutes we had ourselves a foal. It was soooo exciting. They all move soo fast.  It’s very very different from pulling a calf. If they have to put the mare under anesthetic they hoist all four legs in the air and pull baby then. They also used a jaw snare along with the two leg chains!
Not the exact truck we own but this is what it looks like
BEEP BEEP!!
Dr. Kelly Jones and I
The ICU doctor and Dr. Jones assessed to the foal taking vitals, giving oxygen and overall quality of the baby, while the surgeons and others assessed to the mare. We took the foal back up to the ICU barn and later when the mom was awake and in good health they brought her up to her new foal.  I sat in the back holding the foal in the truck while Dr. Jones drove us back. WOO she sure knows how to take a sharp fast corner! Hahaha So good news about the baby it was healthy as ever- so no IV catheter, no oxygen tube, just a vial recheck and a fleece blanket in the straw!! It was a pretty large baby. Weighing a whopping 126 pounds with long ‘ol legs!
My first dystocia baby

The rest of the week was pretty lax..I spent a few days in the primary barn-procedures. After I went home the day of my dystocia...later that night they had two more mares come in for dystocias. They both ended up being c-sections and unfortunately were unable to save the foals. So my days in the barn I took care of these mares and a couple others. I got to assist with treating a yearling in the hyperbaric oxygen chamber. Then our other horse in primary is a neuro horse in sling. She is due to foal in a couple weeks. She stumbles and trips over herself a lot so they placed her in this sling to keep her from injuring herself or the foal before birth.  
Fun in the ICU

Some of the Fellows and I doing treatments
Looks complicated but She is in really good care!! 
Outside of the hospital this week was pretty great. I went to FHE and afterwards went to Wal-Mart for groceries. Now just a side note about Wal-Mart here in Kentucky IT SUCKS!! Hahaha There is a Wal-mart down the street from me but its letters are green, it’s only a grocery store. Then farther down the road is a Super Center Wal-Mart aka NORMAL WAL-MART!! Then there is one on my way home from FHE it is a just a Wal-Mart no grocery store—well like 5 aisles, then there is another Wal-mart on the other side of town that is a normal Wal-mart too!  Like really?? Why so many varieties!! Ok ok for the story… I ended up stopping at the Wal-mart that only had 5 aisles of groceries. So with my disappointment I didn’t wander very long. As I walked out of Wal-mart I was whistled at from across the parking lot. Kentucky people do this a lot because the other interns have mentioned this happening to them. So as I started to drive away I passed by the boys and decided to stop and see if they knew where a “Normal” store was. He (Brent) began to explain directions and I guess my look said everything cuz he could see the confusion on my face. So he asked me if I had a smart-phone, my reply, “if I had a smart phone I wouldn’t be talking to you.” His next words, “well it would be a lot easier if I could call you and tell you how to get there!” I just laughed and told him I didn’t want to give out my number. Then laughed at him again! He was very disappointed… I just kept thinking very classy Brent…picking up girls in Wal-mart parking lot! So he gave me his number instead and said to call him when I got a chance! Ya well haven’t had a chance yet!! OOPS!!! Guess my mom was right DON’T TALK TO STRANGERS!!

It was definitely a long week working 6 days. But I made it through! I honestly couldn’t have gotten any luckier with the people I get to work with everyday! Jeanine has been more than kind to show me the ropes of ICU and the Primary Barn!  Next to learn is the Isolation barn….

Grandma Sally, Me, and Papa in 2009
CONGRATS and LOTS OF LOVE!!!!
Well another week down and only a few more to go! I have finally become homesick! I told my mom and sister I’ve had my fun, seen what I wanted to see, it’s time for me to come home. That was of course after a very long stressful day at work. I do love it our here and have met some extraordinary people but honestly THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME!! Especially this week… I want to congratulate my Papa Boyd and Grandma Sally on their 65th wedding anniversary on Tuesday Valentine’s Day!! DEFINITELY SOMETHING TO BE PROUD OF!!! They are people I have always looked up to for all their hard work, dedication, and countless service for others! Oh how I wish I was going to be home to be to the open house celebration!!  I LOVE YOU PAPA and GRANDMA!!!

Love to all and God Bless!! xOxO
--moLLy jO

No comments:

Post a Comment