Saturday, February 4, 2012

Swim Or Get Eatin!?


So my first week with the sharks… let me just say AAAMMMAAAZZZIIINNNGGG!!!! Monday morning I was scheduled for the day in ICU!... little did I know I would be spending the whole week there!! I was very nervous because during orientation there was so much to remember and so many protocols! Intensive Care Unit is indeed INTENSE!! …..Well when you get thrown to the sharks you either sink or swim right? I’m proud to say I SWAM!!

My first day or two were getting the hang of things, mostly assisting and monitoring! My head tech Jeanine N. was SO SO SO GOOD to me! She was very kind and patient with me. It was also nice that I could talk to her about not only work but life things. Family, friends, beliefs, and all around things! She has been with Hagyard for 10 years! She is nothing less than an amazing woman!

A few of our patients included bed dumbee babies, some hemorrhage mares, colic, premature babies, lepto, orphans, and whole lotta miracles!! I worked on to tube feeding foals, rotating foals and keepin ‘em sternal, assisting to stand, making mare’s match, urinary catheter care, butt washing, hanging fluids, preparing and giving different medications, TPR’s, LOTS of cleaning, stocking, setting fluid pumps, milking out mares, drafting a baby to a nurse mare, and some client interaction! First off milking horses is not like anything else and definitely NOT EASY!! I struggled the first time for sure. Pretty sure I got more on me than I did in the cup. Lucky me I got the sweetest and patient mare. And I have loved getting all the draft horses in as our nurse mares. Gentle Giants… LOVE’EM!







                    Gotta Love Pan Feeding!!!

 

The one story I want to focus on was my first bed baby! Monday I had a premature foal in a stall. This poor thing had a rough first few days in this world. To myself I thought that it would never pull through and survive.  The veterinarian on the case was very positive and told the client to not give up because the foal really has a great chance of pulling through! Well yes its nice to be optimistic but when there aren’t any light on up stairs, it is easy to be doubtful! The foals that are considered bed babies are usually a dumbee foal! They have very little response and understanding of their surroundings. This was our premature patient. It’s truly heartbreaking to see. But because of the amazing staff of Hagyard and these clients not giving up, the foal’s lights came on! TRULY I WITNESSED A MIRACLE!! By the end of the week the foal was getting up with assistance, standing on its own, walking around, it had gotten off its bed, tubes pulled, urinary catheter gone, and was getting back to being a normal foal! My heart swelled bigger and bigger everyday witnessing the small improvements this foal had made. It was so special for me to be a part of this experience. The joy I got from feeling I had helped make a difference is the best indescribable feeling! To see everyone’s hard work pay off is very satisfying! Also to see the client’s confidence grow in his foal was exciting to see. We began to pan feed our foal and hopefully in the next couple days they will have it on a nurse mare and later down the road it will be a healthy, happy, strong racing horse!!
Beginning...









...Middle...









...The End....













(Little side note on this miracle, the client of this foal would make a daily visit to check in and get updates! He truly cared about his investment and wanted the best for his foal. I had seen him once before in the ICU talking to the Doctor and other techs. When I first met him I was assisting with treatments for his foal- He shook my hand introduced himself and those were basically the only words exchanged. The following day late in the afternoon the client was back in for his visit, I was doing other treatments on patients but when I passed by his stall he said to me, ”Hello Molly, how are you today?” I replied politely and continued with my work. So no big deal right?.. I’m just someone passing through. But to me it was a big deal, because the fact that he had remembered my name and recognized me as person and not just someone who was just there running around the barn. His consideration really impressed me. Maybe because other clients that visit never really give you the time of day unless you have Dr. written on you!) Kinda makes all the hard work that much more worth it…..

By the end of the week, in the mornings during rounds the senior tech would give me my own patients who I was to look after, give medications, and make sure I filled out their charts. I WAS TO BE A TECH!!! AAAHHHH!!!! Slowly but surely I got the hang of things and how to make the most of my time. Words will never be enough to express how this week has changed my life!! I owe a huge thanks to Lynne and Jeanine for being so positive, patient, and trusting in me! We exchanged many laughs and great conversations! They both told me this week that they were glad I decided to come to Hagyard. Also the other staff members, fellows, doctors are great people and teachers. I have been kinda over whelmed at how kind people are here. There are a few here and there that are not so kind and act as though they are higher above us but those that are genuine make it all bearable. Well everyone l said I would be busy and worn out and they were right! I was so excited for Friday to finally be here.  Yes I have had a great week at work but MAN-O-MAN it’s a stressful thing to have sick babies and mamas!! It’s a lot of work too!! I do love tho that it keeps me on my toes!!
My BIG bed baby.....Laying content and comfortable...
LITERALLY 30 seconds later.....


So outside the hospital I just kinda hang out and relax. My Church Ward out here is THE BEST! It is exactly what I needed. The Relief Society and Bishopric are absolutely amazing! I kind of checked out the singles ward this week too! Wow lets just say its SOOOO little! There were 7 kids including me at FHE Monday night. But mayb I’ll give it one more chance..haha mayb.  I have also hung out with a couple of the other interns. My friend Penny have gotten close,  talk most days, and have planned to do dinner at least once a week to keep caught up-since we are on different shifts! Some good news for Penny and I too; We discussed the first week how we wanted to go to a UK Basketball game. Well I jokingly mentioned to my Relief Society President the other night that I need to find some friends that can get me tickets to a game. She told me that her husband works in the athletic department and usually gets tickets that I could have! AAAHHHH…. And they come in pairs!! They actually were trying to find someone to use their tickets for last week’s game. She said next time they get tickets she’d let me kno!! WOOOOO  LOOK OUT UK CUZ PENNY AN I ARE GOING TO A BASKETBALL GAME!!
The Crew @ Winstar Office

 I call my mom and sister everyday on my way home from work and I love that I have such a blessed relationship with them. They have been my foundation of getting to me where I am! I could NEVER EVER EVER thank them for the love, support and prayers they have given me! Also this goes to many others out there! I was so nervous and stressed about coming out here. But honestly with my family, friends, and the Lord on my side I never should have been.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TO ALL!!        

LOVE MY MAMA!!
Blessed to be Sisters and Lucky to be Best Friends!





  
So I guess that concludes my week… Best roller coaster ride evers!! Really hope it only gets better from here!!  Hope all is well at home…. I still miss the sunshine, mountains, and my boys at the farm! Kinda miss seeing cows too!! Weird! Jk! But for now I will just enjoy and soak in ALLLL this rain! Too bad I can’t bring it back with me…. God Bless …xOxO
LOVE, ME!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment